Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Grade School Days


This recipe comes to you from my elementary school cafeteria! I grew up hating school lunch...except on peanut butter bar day (to bad they served fish sticks with it), they made the worlds best peanut butter bars! I have longed for them for ages, and about two years ago I came upon this recipe from an old church cook book. It was a happy day when I bit into these and found my childhood friend.

These bars are the perfect blend of peanut butter, chocolate and chocolate icing. When you bite into these little delights they are not cakey, but a little dense in texture...you then meet a small layer of semisweet chocolate which gives them a slight crunch...finally you sink into a mound of chocolate buttermilk frosting...they are not for the light at heart ...but hey with the oatmeal, and peanut butter they are practically a heath food right?


A few notes on the recipe, I double the frosting...for some this may be too much, I will give the doubled recipe. I would recommend making the double recipe, using what you want and saving the rest for another time. I like to keep my bars in the refrigerator, however I think they taste the best a room temp. So I always store in refrigerator and take out about an hour before I want to serve one...I mean them(okay, okay I eat them all myself!)


Peanut Butter Bars:


Cookie layer:

1/2 c butter (softened)

1/3 cup peanut butter

1/3 c sugar

1/2 brown sugar

1 egg

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. vanilla

1 c flour

1 c oatmeal ( I like old fashioned oats)


*2 handfuls (about 1/2 cup) chocolate chips


Mix butters and sugars until creamy, add egg and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, salt, soda, and flour then mix until combined. Lastly add oatmeal and mix until just combined. Spread in a parchment lined 9x13 inch pan.

Bake 350 for 10 min.

Immediately from oven, sprinkle with a handful (or two) of your favorite chocolate chips. Let sit for 5 min. and then spread with knife. Set cookies aside or refrigerate until chocolate is set.


Frosting:(doubled version)

1/2 cup melted butter

2/3 c cocoa

2 pinches of salt

2 Tbsp. vanilla

6 to 8 Tbsp. buttermilk (can use regular milk ...but why?)

1 pkg. powdered sugar (about 6 cups)


Combine melted butter, cocoa and salt mix and slowly add vanilla, powdered sugar and buttermilk. Beat on medium high to high for about 3 min. or until light and fluffy...(you might have to add a little more sugar or buttermilk to get your perfect consistency).


Frost bars and enjoy!



No comments: