Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Toffee Bars


This is a recipe I tried this week out of our church cookbook. I think the friend that had submitted it said that she had never even made them.... I have had an eye on them for awhile now. They are made with a shortbread type crust and then filled with toffee and chocolate, so how could they not be good!

All said and done they will not go down on my favorites.....just not something extraordinary. I did make a bunch of modifications to the recipe...i just had to after figuring out in my head the calorie count. I used Fat Free Sweetened Condensed Milk (because that is all that I had), I also used half whole wheat pastry flour, I lessened the butter to 1/2 c. used only the egg white and used only 1/2 the chocolate chips and toffee the original recipe calls for. Maybe without these substitutions they would rank in the extraordinary? But for all the calories...I need it to be fantastic at first bite. I am posting the original recipe here. If you try it without the substitutions let me know how it is.

Recipe:

Toffee Bars:

2 1/3 c flour

2/3 c brown sugar

3/4 butter

1 egg

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 pkg chocolate chips

1 pkg toffee bits

Combine flour and sugar, cut in butter until crumbly like a pie crust. Add egg and mix well. Stir in 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips. Reserve 1 1/2 c. of this mixture. Press remaining mixture in a 9x13 inch greased pan and bake for 10 min. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crust, top with toffee bits and remaining chocolate chips. The top with the rest of crumb mixture. Bake for 25 min. or until golden brown. Cool and cut into bars.

No comments: