Friday, September 19, 2008

The Old Standby




Oatmeal Cookie...my old standby whenever I am needing a little comfort, warm, gooeyness....but feeling like I need something with some kind of goodness. This is the Oatmeal Cookie recipe that is tried and true. They turn out warm and chewy on the inside and have just a little crunchy crispness on the edges. I got this recipe from a supermarket check-out stand recipe book. The little leaflet said COOKIES and BARS! so I could not pass it by. It turns out it was filled with some of my favorite treats to date...like Smore Bars, Toffee Crunch Bars, (recipes to come) and of course the standby Oatmeal Cookie.

The only modifications I made from the original are as follows:First I added about 1/2 the shortening called for, and I added 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour and 1/2 cup regular all-purpose (instead of straight all-purpose). I also only used the egg whites....why?because the yolk just give me the creeps...always has. Give them a try, I promise you will not be disappointed!


Oatmeal Cookies:


1/2 c butter


1/2 c shortening


2/3 c sugar


2/3 c brown sugar


2 eggs (I always use only whites)


1 tsp. baking soda


1 tsp. cinnamon


1 tsp. vanilla


1/2 tsp baking powder


1/2 tsp. salt


1 cup flour


3 c old fashioned oatmeal


1 c raisins....okay so I made another modification......


I added about 1 c chocolate chips and 1 c butterscotch chips...I said they were comfort food!


No raisins for my cookie!




Blend sugars and butter/shortening until light and fluffy. Add eggs and continue to beat at med. speed for 3 min. Add the rest of the dry ingredients except oatmeal and mix. Add Oatmeal and chocolate chips and mix just until blended. Bake at 320 for 12 min. on a parchment lined cookie sheet.


1 comment:

picturemom said...

Hi jamie, You really do bake alot. I wish you lived closer so I could sneak over for cookies! They look so good you have a real talent!