Friday, September 12, 2008

Muffins


Okay, so really my family does eat very, very healthy...with treats on the side. Last night as I was lying down I realized that we had nothing at all to send in the kids lunch. I decided that waking up at 3 AM to make fresh bread was...well out, so I decided to wake at 6 and make them a hearty and healthy muffin.


The recipe I decided on was a Low fat, Whole Grain Pumpkin Muffin. With half of the flour %100 whole wheat and applesauce instead of most the oil I was impressed. The kids noticed a slight difference to the Pillsbury box mix they like, but said they were great. I did two variations, one with chopped walnuts and the other with dark chocolate chips.


Pumpkin Muffins:

1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour

2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. ginger

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1/2 tsp. cloves

1/2 tsp. salt

2 egg whites

1 c brown sugar

1/2 c sugar

2/3 c applesauce

1/3 c oil

1 15oz can pumpkin

chocolate chips to taste (optional)


Mix all dry ingredients and set aside. Mix eggs, oil, applesauce and pumpkin until combined, add to dry ingredients and slowly mix just until combined. Add chocolate chips or walnuts if desired.

Bake in lined muffin pan for 20 min. at 350.

No comments: