Sunday, October 26, 2008

Dilly, Dally


An addition to the previous post on my Sunday baking adventures...The Dilly Bread Rolls! For all of my baking you might get the idea that I am...well to put it blunt...large, and full...and well to a point I am...in belly only I hope (almost 6 months pregnant). But hear is the deal...I love to bake, but this doesn't mean I have to, or want to always eat everything that I bake...because I do not...this is what husbands, and kids, and friends are for! In fact, out of the batches and batches of baked goods today, the only thing I tasted (and LOVED for that matter) was the Dilly Bread Rolls. My point is just because you have a passion for baking does not mean you have to consume it all. Baking for me is a way to create something, to relieve stress, and to learn and try new things...adventures...and if I were to eat all those adventures I would be "creating" far more stress...the kind that makes it so that you can't touch your toes eventually...so this is why I might show up at your door step randomly with a plate full of cookies...help me out would you...I'm relieving my stress! :)


Dilly Bread (mom-in laws)

1 Tb. yeast

1/4 c warm water

1 cup small curd cottage cheese, heated to luke warm

1 T butter

2 T sugar

1 tsp. salt

1/4 baking soda

1 Tbs. minced onion (I had to use onion powder so I added only 1 tsp.)

2 t dill seed or weed (I used half weed, half seed)

1 egg

2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups flour (I used bread flour)

**I added mine all to the bread machine and used the dough cycle...then took them out and shaped into rolls...let double in bulk and baked at 350 for 11 min. They were absolutly everything I wanted them to be...completly divine! BUT here is the original instructions:

Soften yeast in water, let stand 10 min. Add other ingredients except flour, beating thoroughly. Add flour, let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Stir down and shape into loaf pan. Let rise about 1 hour and bake at 350 for 35-45 min. brush top with butter.

2 comments:

Kristi Clinger said...

They all look so yummy! You're very talented. I will help you out anytime you need to get any of your baked goods off your hands.

Ashley Wing said...

I LOVE my mom's Dilly bread. I crave it sometimes, but rarely make it. Now in a roll form, I'm going to try this one. Thanks for sharing!
-Ashley